Friday, June 14, 2013

Friday Feature - Karin's Craft Space



Hi Everyone! Karin, here. As you probably know by now we are doing a series of Friday posts where we Lawnscaping designers are sharing our crafty spaces and today it is my turn. At first I hesitated because as you can see my space is very tiny (this is also where I sew and paint ) and not fancy at all but then I thought - why not???   I'm probably not the only one with very limited space -so this could hopefully be a post where we  "Crafters in the City (?) Girls" could share some compact crafting ideas. We have a three-room- apartment in the center of Gothenburg and we LOVE  it here but of course I wouldn't mind an extra room or two!





 This room used to be our office till we had Ted 4 years ago. It is now his room but I've kept my crafty desk in one corner and I guess I'll find out how long Ted will let me keep it there (-:
 
My crafting budget isn't very large so I have no specially designed furniture for my tools and supplies but have made use of things we already had at home; winebottle crates,  shoeboxes, cd-boxes, old bathroom cupboards and drawers. I like that I have almost everything I need within reach when I sit working at my desk - just wish I was a more tidy and organized crafter, because unfortunately my desk turns into a bombshell disater within minutes after starting a project and then the quickest solution is often to move down to the floor and suddenly things aren't that easy to reach anymore (-;  
 
Above my desk I have an old IKEA pin board where I keep some of my favorite embellishments so I don't forget to use them - but  also because I find it very inspiring to have them there! The stamps I use the most are also always within reach either in their packages or stored in cd-boxes on IKEA shelves . I have a large IKEA box under my IKEA desk ( and - yes, I am Swedish (-: ),  which I think is perfect for keeping my 12x12 patterned papers and cardstock.



I've printed pictures of all the stamps and stampsets I have and put into a photo album so I can easily  flip through that to find the perfect image or sentiment I for a card I'm working on. It is also great for when I'm writing my blogposts and need to know the name of a certain set.




I keep my dies like this in a cd sleeve book. It is easy to find the dies and it doesn't take up a lot of space.


 Other ideas for compact crafting:

1. As soon as you know your not going to use an old product or tool any more,  give it away or sell it on ebay.
2. Before you rush to buy a new cool product or tool make sure you don't already have something very similar or have a product that can be used in different way with the same result.
3. Label all your boxes and folders carefully so you know exactly where to find what - searching for things have a strange way of eating up a lot of space!!!
4. Organize your desk so that the tools and supplies you use the most are closest to you - biggest chance of putting them right back where they belong after you've used them - I use my inkblenders and distress inks (-; and 6x6 patterned papers on almost all my projects!
5. I sort my markers by  putting a rubberband around colors that have the same tone, that way I don't need one box for greens and one box for blues etc.


It would be awesome if you would continue this list and share your ideas for compact/budget storage and crafting in the comments section below!
 
Have a great day!, Hugs Karin







11 comments:

  1. Your small space looks awesome, and similar to mine! I love having everything at my reach, and not have to get up and down all the time. One thing that I did is put long open shelves on my wall in front of me. I can really pack a lot of stuff on them! And it's out in the open so I can see it, and not in a storage bin! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! Maybe I should make something like that to hang where I have my photos of Ted! TFS!!!

      Delete
  2. Karin,
    I'm so impressed with how you have used your space! Love your idea of printing a picture of your stamp sets and the CD sleeves for your dies. Thanks for sharing!
    {hugs}
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love ur crafting space.and all the tipsyou shared.thanks so much.love ur idea of keeping stamps and dies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loooove your craft room!! So much natural light! wow!
    Love your organizing tips and tricks!! I also love to have things at hand and I also love to label things!!
    Thanks for sharing this with us!
    Happy weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karin, pretty impressive for such a small space. Love that you have everything right where you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire the realness of your craft space....its just like mine! I completely understand about your desk getting piled with stuff after one project so I try to make a conscious effort not to start anything another project until its clean again. Unfortunately I make excuses about using the same supplies again for another project and the desk will stay messy for a while...haha! Thanks for your tips. My storage bins are always clear so I can see in them...that would be my tip...it reminds me to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great compact space. Lots of light too. Looks like a very happy space!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your space! I enjoy seeing small and shared spaces. Our third bedroom functions as an office, craft room, and guest room. Once my son is older I expect him to want the larger bedroom. I set up my space with items that we already had on hand. I am working to condense my supplies so that they are all within reach. The extra items in the closet rarely get used. Here is a blog post with a picture: http://www.1200somemiles.com/2012/12/around-here-december-2012.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a comment. For immediate questions, please email Laurel at laurelkbeard at gmail dot com. Have a super day!